THE RACE IS OURS!

The race is not given to the swift, but to them who endure to the end. Take your growth one day at a time and God is sure to meet you there! Let's grow together!

Thursday, April 7, 2011

DAY 4 of 21 "The FIGHT"

Do you ever feel torn? Do you ever want more from God, but know you need to give more at the same time? Do you have those times when you just KNOW beyond the shadow of doubt that you love God and no one can tell you otherwise? Then, do you have those moments when you wonder if you're even a Christian at all? How about those times when you wish living for God didn't have to be so hard? And then finally those times when you realize that all the fulfillment you could possibly need in life can ONLY come from your relationship with God?

The answer to these questions, and more, are what I envision going through the mind of the writer of Psalm 119! I would encourage everyone to read today's passage as if it is a monologue (in the New Living Translation is you can). Pay attention to the changes in the "character". Notice his heart and passion for God and at the same time his seemingly off and on fight to follow God's law. Pay attention to his pleading to God to KEEP him in the midst of certain things. 

I felt so connected to this passage today because it felt so real. Like I seriously could see myself saying some of this stuff to God on a day to day basis. Some days I'm ready for war and other days, it's a real struggle. Not even talking about the fasting part....but actually fighting to maintain a closeness with God can be tough. There are so many other things in life that come to try and fill that space between God and I and sometimes it can be overwhelming. What I realized through this scripture though is that the WORD and my desire to live by it can and WILL SUSTAIN me. Even during the times when I don't feel like I can pray or don't feel like I'm hearing God, the Word is there to confirm that He is indeed paying attention to my life. This is major for me because I really struggle with reading the bible. I don't know why, I just do and always have. But what I do NOT struggle with is knowing my heart is for God. I KNOW that I want and need him. So just like dude in the passage, I'm going to fight because the reality is that God knows my shortcomings and He's not appalled or surprised. This dude in the scripture didn't come off as perfect to me. The only thing he was sure of was his heart for God and his desire to do things the right way, whether he was always successful or not. That's where I'm striving to be! I may have some very different days during my walk with God, which may impact my feelings. But what I WON'T do anymore is depend on anything else but God to sustain me through whatever each day brings. Even when I don't "FEEL" the passion for Him, I'm going to ask Him to restore it because this faith thing really isn't all about feelings....it's about KNOWLEDGE and I KNOW who I'm living for!!! How bout you??

Psalm 119
This longest psalm in the Bible is primarily about a passion for God’s Word.  These 21 days you’ve set apart will be much richer by combining Bible reading with your fasting and prayer.  How would you describe your passion for God’s Word at this moment?  Pray today that God will increase that fire in your heart during this time.
 

3 comments:

  1. I'm really thankful for this web site and the 21 day fast.It's showing me just how frail that I am.I know that GOD is in my heart but am I being the best that I can be. I'll say no.Even denying myself of a piece of candy I'm going through changes.LOl Can you believe that.I know that's a small thing but it goes across the board.I'm commited to go the distance with Jesus by my side.Thanks Alex.Great idea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I am amazed at how much I am gaining from this consecration, The comments and Alex's blog have been so real and candid. It has given me the courage to be exactly what I am not.just with (Dad) bu with myself and others. The best thing in the world is to keep it 100!
    Can't wait til Wednesday prayer together. Love you allw

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always am torn. I think I'm 19 and I want to live my life. But then it's like Krista look at the world, you want to be like that? Come on girl. And then I'll say okay whatever, I'm doing my own thing, BUT IM NOT HAPPY. IM HAPPIEST WHEN I SPEND TIME WITH GOD, AND WITH MY YOUTH GROUP. AND WITH MY FAMILY AND CHURCH. A lot of Christians, especially young christians think that they're missing out on something. My close friend Anita, who is Atheist, and Im trying to change that lol but all she talks about is drama and it's so stupid!! I'll sit there listening to her, and I'm thinking no offense, but I would rather be at a youth conference or reading the bible or learning about God. The youth of today have no idea WHAT THEY'RE MISSING OUT ON!! I want to use every talent and skill that God has given me to spread God's love to youth, and to ill informed Christians. So many Christians want to share God with people for numbers, and it's not about that, it's about sharing His love and great He is, and what He can do for you, and how He can set you free!! THIS FAST IS OPENING MY EYES TO SO MUCH AND IT'S ONLY DAY 4!! WHOOOOO!!

    ReplyDelete